Midland Paper, Packaging Supplies provides dedicated relationships and value-added
solutions for the efficient distribution of printing & imaging papers, publication
papers, packaging supplies & equipment, and facility supplies. A member of both
NetPrint and Network, Midland has the ability to serve clients with multiple regional
and national locations.
As the Midwest's largest independently owned paper and packaging distributor, Midland
operates principal distribution facilities in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Midland's National division also has sales offices located strategically across
the United States to serve book, magazine and catalog publishers.
To reach the correct Midland professional to serve you, please view our
list of locations
or contact us at 1.800.253.7477 or email:
Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification
PEFC is an international, independent, non-profit,
non-governmental organization which promotes sustainably managed
forests through independent third party certification. PEFC has
over 35 independent national certification systems, such as SFI,
under its umbrella.
Sustainable Forestry Initiative
SFI is an independent non-profit, charitable organization with a
science based, internationally recognized forest management
standard developed specifically for the North American forest.
Its mission is to help protect the health of our forests while
supporting the co-existence of responsible environmental
behavior and sound business practices.
Forest Stewardship Council
FSC is a non-profit organization devoted to encouraging the
responsible management of the world’s forests. It ensures
that forestry is practiced in an environmentally responsible,
socially beneficial and economically viable way.
is a founding member of NetPrint. We have also been a member of Network since 2003.
In the fast-moving paper, packaging and facility-supply marketplaces, these trade
organizations give us access to hundreds of electronically linked distribution centers
and professionals who can help support your multi-location business throughout the
Over 100 Years of Growth
For over 100 years, Midland Paper, Packaging and Supplies - formerly Midland Paper - has dedicated
itself to providing premium customer service and reliable representation of suppliers' products.
Our mission remains unchanged.
Roots in Midwest Mills & Manufacturing
Incorporated in 1907 by E.S. Rookes, the original Midland company was solely a Chicago-based paper distribution operation.
Control was held in a New York Railway supply company until 1935, when Zellerbach Paper Company purchased Midland to operate as its Midland Paper Division.
When Zellerbach limited distribution to cities west of the Rocky Mountains in 1945,
private investors purchased Midland. It has been privately held ever since.
Independent Thinking, Creative Solutions
When current CEO E. Stanton "Stan" Hooker III and then-Executive Vice President Frank Morley acquired Midland in 1983, they intended to raise the company's position in the Chicago paper market. Their vision quickly expanded, and the resulting growth initiative gained rapid speed, particularly in the early 1990s with the acquisition of Northland Paper and Hobart/McIntosh. The company's most recent purchase was Capitol City Paper in July 2005.
The results speak for themselves. In 1983, Midland produced annual sales of $14 million. Revenues now exceed $700 million. Midland also ranks as one of Chicago's Top 50 Companies - and among America's largest independent paper-and packaging-distribution firms.
Though Midland has grown exponentially and launched new product segments, current ownership comprised of CEO Stan Hooker, President and COO Mike Graves, President of Midland National Jim O’ Toole, and Vice President and CFO Ralph DeLetto remains responsive and entrepreneurial in its management mindset. We are as dedicated to serving customers and suppliers with independent thinking and creative solutions as we were over 100 years ago.
The Midland Timeline - Looking Back - and Ahead
- 1907 - Company established by E.S. Rookes
- 1935 - Purchased by Zellerbach Paper
- 1945 - Sold to a group of private investors; privately held ever since
- 1983 - Midland Paper purchased by current CEO E. Stanton "Stan" Hooker III and Executive Vice President Francis Morley
- 1992 - New York office opens.
- 1993 - Rockford, IL-based Northland Paper is acquired.
- 1994 - Hobart/McIntosh is acquired; new 40,000 sq. ft. facility opens in Rockford.
- 1998 - New 60,000 sq. ft. facility opens in Milwaukee.
- 1999 - Connecticut office opens.
- 2002 - Midland National division formed to service the publishing and end user markets.
- 2003 - Acquired CW Paper which allowed us to expand into the Appleton &Wausau, WI markets
- 2004 - Expanded into Minnesota with the opening of the Minneapolis sales office and distribution facility
- 2004 - Expanded into the Madison market with a new distribution facility in Madison, WI.
- 2005 - Capitol City Paper is purchased. Midland Paper officially becomes FSC Certified.
- 2006 - Frank Morley, Executive VP, retired and Michael Graves, COO, Ralph DeLetto, CFO, and James O'Toole, President of Midland National, became partners in Midland.
- 2007 - A Chicago Top 50 Company with revenues exceeding $700 million, Midland Paper, Packaging + Supplies celebrates 100 years of operation.
- 2008 - Officially became SFI certified and expanded our packaging and supply capabilities in Wheeling, IL with the addition of 4 dedicated and highly experienced packaging sales people.
- 2009 - Officially became PEFC certified, moved into new and larger facilities in Quincy and Normal, IL, and re-launched CLN with enhanced online e-commerce and catalog capabilities.
- 2010 - Added almost 90,000 sq/ft of new warehouse space in Des Plaines, IL to support our growing packaging business in the Chicagoland area.
- 2011 - Added Western Regional Sales Offices in Irvine, CA and Seattle, WA.
- 2012 - Midland International opens offices in Brazil and Mexico.