Revenue in the second quarter was $623.1 million, compared to $601.8 million a year ago, an increase of $21.3 million, or 4%. Operating profit from continuing operations for the second quarter of fiscal year 2017 of $111.4 million was up 6% versus $105.1 million in the prior year period. The Company reported second quarter earnings per diluted share from continuing operations of $1.92, versus $1.85 in the prior year period. Results for the second quarter of the current fiscal year include one-time expenses of $0.07 per share, which are detailed below. The prior year period included one-time expenses of $0.04 per share. Excluding these one-time items, second quarter earnings from continuing operations per diluted share was $1.99 versus $1.89 in the prior year period. Second quarter results were driven by revenue growth in the Company’s trade channels in the U.S. and Canada, primarily on the strength of new Harry Potter-related publishing. Strong sales gains in the Company’s international major market operations, particularly in trade, clubs and fairs, led to a 43% increase in international profits in the quarter. click Read More below for additional detail
The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal tied as No. 1 among 15 major daily newspapers analyzed as part of the Media Trust Tracker, a collaboration of Brand Keys and MediaPost’s Research Intelligencer, which measures how much a user’s trust contributes to their engagement with the brand.
Interestingly, the contribution of trust among the major daily newspapers was relatively high, with a narrow margin of difference (between 80% and 88%), vs. an analysis we published in July of the major television news brands (which ranged 58% to 90%).
“Trust” in one’s newspaper (print, website and/or mobile app) accounts for 41% of newspaper brand engagement overall. The remaining 59% is accounted for via attributes and values addressing “entertainment listings and sports,” “an ability to educate and inform via news reporting, columnists, and editorial,” and providing insights into the “economy and local events and markets.”
Three thousand eight hundred six (3,806) subscribers (paper & digital) and/or “regular newsreaders” – via digital or app, 3+ times a week – evaluated their newspaper brand-of-choice. The Brand Keys Emotional Engagement Analysis determined how much the single value of trust the brands engendered among readers. The survey identified the following, with + 5% indicating significant differences at the 95% confidence level, and an evenhanded spectrum of liberal, moderate, and conservative dispositions.
more at source: https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/324964/americas-most-trusted-newspaper-brands.html