Don’t judge the book by its cover, they say – but is that really marketable when it comes to packaging? Actually not, it is on the contrary. Based on our study consumers really evaluate packaging to understand what’s inside, so packaging is important help for consumers to pick the right kind of products for their needs. Consumers today are aware of the surrounding world and how it affects their everyday lives. They care about their health and about the environment, and their way of influencing it is through their consumption habits. With that in mind, it is no wonder that consumers crave organic food as people tend to think that organic is automatically linked to sustainability. Matching the packaging with what’s inside helps them identify the food they want. Also, organic packaging communicates that its content is healthier and better for you than the average ones. “I would spend more money if only I could be sure that it’s real bio food,” an average German consumer said. Click read more below for additional detail.
Huhtamaki inaugurates its new, state-of-the-art flexible packaging unit in Egypt today. The investment marks the company’s entry into manufacturing flexible packaging in Africa.
The greenfield is located in the greater Cairo area and will serve Huhtamaki’s flexible packaging customers in Egypt as well as export its products into other African countries and Europe. The manufacturing unit is built on a land area of almost 37,000 square meters, with ample space for future expansion. Production has started this spring and the facility is expected to employ approximately 250 employees.
“The Egyptian market is sizeable, and with the rapid population growth in Africa we expect future growth opportunities both for us and our customers. Until now we have served flexible packaging customers in Egypt from our units in the United Arab Emirates and India. With the new plant we can offer our current and new customers – both in Africa and Europe – the same top quality with shorter lead times,” says Olli Koponen, EVP Flexible Packaging.
The new manufacturing unit is owned and operated as a joint venture of which Huhtamaki owns 75%. The remaining 25% is owned by Mr. Ayman Korra, who has been Huhtamaki’s joint venture partner in the Egyptian fiber packaging business since 2003. The current investment, including land purchase, facility construction and machinery, is expected to be approx. EUR 23 million with Huhtamaki share at approx. EUR 17 million.