National Geographic magazine, a nonprofit publication since its founding in 1888, is shifting to for-profit status. The news comes as 21st Century Fox expands its holdings in the National Geographic brand with a $725 million deal that adds the venerable magazine into the companies’ longstanding joint venture. Variety reports that the partnership, which will also include the National Geographic cable channel and the National Geographic Society’s other media assets, will be called National Geographic Partners. Fox will own 73 percent of the partnership, and Washington-based National Geographic Society will own the remaining 27 percent.
Shutterfly, Inc. (NASDAQ:SFLY), the leading retailer and manufacturing platform dedicated to helping capture, preserve, and share life’s important moments, today announced the appointment of Ryan O’Hara as President and Chief Executive Officer, effective June 24, 2019. When Ryan joins the company, he will simultaneously be appointed to serve as a director on the Shutterfly Board of Directors.
Ryan is a seasoned executive with experience across a range of industries. He joins Shutterfly from Move Inc./Realtor.com where he led a successful turnaround of the business over more than four years as Chief Executive Officer, more than doubling traffic, conversion and revenue, while driving value creation. In his time with the company, he built a new senior management team, turbo-charged marketing through brand investment and multi-channel execution and drove digital product innovation across all platforms with a specific emphasis on mobile, all while growing businesses organically from the core.
Prior to Move Inc., Ryan served as President of Content, Distribution and Sales for The Madison Square Garden Company. During his tenure, he helped maximize growth and position a restructuring of the business. In addition, he led the national cable TV business and partner marketing and advertising sales, while developing and implementing an overall strategic vision to maximize the company’s technological capabilities.
Ryan also served as the CEO of The Topps Company, reinvigorating a portfolio of assets, driving international growth, and transforming the digital business through aggressive investment. Previously, he served as a top leader at Gemstar-TV Guide, successfully building and selling the company. He has also served in leadership positions across media companies including BSkyB and Fox Cable Networks, was a management consultant with PWC, and began his career in brand management for Nestle.
“We are thrilled to welcome Ryan to Shutterfly,” said William Lansing, Chairman of the Shutterfly Board of Directors. “Following the acquisition of Lifetouch last year, Shutterfly is poised to continue to deliver growth in all three divisions and achieve the opportunities afforded to us through the ongoing integration of Lifetouch. Ryan has a proven track record of driving transformation through profitable growth by building high performing teams, driving portfolio business transformation and invigorating brands.”
“In the search process, we were particularly drawn to Ryan’s accomplishments in both the digital and manufacturing space, both of which are key priorities for the continued growth of the Shutterfly business,” continued Lansing. “While at the helm of Topps, specifically, he amplified brand relevance while transforming the digital business and driving technology, design time compression and efficiency into expanded manufacturing capabilities. Additionally, Ryan has demonstrated a consistent ability to attract and engage talent and build teams.”
more at: http://ir.shutterfly.com/news-releases/news-release-details/shutterfly-inc-names-ryan-ohara-president-and-chief-executive