Metsä Wood, the wood products business of Metsä Group, will start statutory employee negotiations to adjust its production also at its pine sawmills in Finland. Oversupply and price competition that have prevailed in the sawn timber market have resulted in poor price development of Finnish sawn timber. Metsä Wood is planning to lay off all of its employees at the Merikarvia, Kyrö and Lappeenranta sawmills for a maximum period of three weeks. The statutory employee negotiations are expected to be completed during September, and any restrictions will primarily be implemented by the end of November 2015.
Appvion is a North American leader in specialty papers and coatings. We aim to achieve sustained profitable growth for continued successful business development and improved corporate citizenship through responsible business practices and integrity. We are committed to building environmental sustainability, social responsibility, and effective corporate governance into all aspects of our business while ensuring that ecological stewardship is a key component of our corporate responsibility. Our approach to sustainability is focused on four key areas: Environment; Community; Workplace; and Economy.
- We strive to minimize our environmental footprint by developing strategies to reduce the environmental impact of our operations and our products.
- We promote resource conservation, operational efficiency, and waste reduction throughout our value chain.
- We seek to continually improve our environmental performance through target-based objectives.
- We promote volunteerism and create opportunities for sustainability-focused community service.
- We support local community projects that foster positive social and economic impacts to build a more sustainable future.
- We empower and engage our employees to create a safe and healthy work environment.
- We strive to improve daily and through open dialogue we enable a culture that focuses on continual improvement and professional development.
- We value a diverse workforce and provide equal opportunity for all.
- We apply effective governance and risk management systems that ensure financial sustainability.
- We develop business plans that incorporate sustainable growth opportunities.
- We provide our customers innovative sustainable solutions.