Dark Horse Media, an independent comics publishing house and entertainment media company, has been acquired by the Embracer Group, a Swedish video game development company. Financial terms were not disclosed. Embracer is directed by cofounder and group CEO Lars Wingefors. The group’s purchase includes the acquisition of an 80% stake in Dark Horse from a “seller based in Hong Kong and China”—which appears to be Vanguard Visionary Associates, the Chinese media production company that took an investment stake in DH in 2018—and a remaining 20% share owned by Dark Horse founder, CEO, and publisher Mike Richardson and Dark Horse COO Neil Hankerson.
When it comes to honoring an anniversary as big as Harper’s BAZAAR’s 150th, Editor-in-Chief Glenda Bailey knew one celebration simply wasn’t enough. In fact, the magazine—which will officially turn 150 years old on November 2 of this year—has been celebrating for most of 2017. The culmination of these festivities reveals itself with an entirely redesigned November issue that hits newsstands today.
“My mission is to create a party that everyone is invited to,” Bailey said, and the BAZAAR anniversary year has embodied the legendary style of the magazine.
In April, the Empire State Building lit up with iconic images from the pages of Harper’s BAZAAR. That same month, the magazine’s history unfolded in Bailey’s new book Harper’s BAZAAR: 150 Years: The Greatest Moments.
“I am a great believer in having a party every day, so naturally when it came to our anniversary, we decided to celebrate the whole year,” Bailey said. “One issue just isn’t enough when you have a history as illustrious as Harper’s BAZAAR’s.”
BAZAAR spent most of this year reflecting on the history of the publication, but when it came time to create the anniversary edition itself, the staff was able to focus on the future.
“We cherish the past, but we invent the future,” Bailey said.
In some ways, the November issue is a preview into what the next generation of Harper’s BAZAAR will entail. This edition debuts a five-chapter format: Must-Haves, Ageless Style, News, Beauty and Dream. Future issues will follow the same structure.
The redesign, straight from the mind of Design Director Elizabeth Hummer, is a reflection of one of Bailey’s personal favorite collectables, coffee table books. Some favorites from her personal collection include Yves Saint Laurent’s Accessories and House Style: Five Centuries of Fashion at Chatsworth.
more at: http://www.hearst.com/newsroom/celebrating-150-years-of-harper-s-bazaar