Bloomsbury will publish the authorised history of GCHQ following keen competition from major publishing groups in an offer conducted by Bill Hamilton of A. M. Heath & Co. Bloomsbury will work closely with the world-leading intelligence, security and cyber agency to have the book ready to mark GCHQ's 100th anniversary in 2019, with the book's publication due for the autumn. This will be a key part of GCHQ's programme of activities and events planned throughout its centenary year. The history will be written by the leading signals intelligence historian Professor John Ferris. Professor Ferris has spent most of his career writing about secret intelligence and its effects on the development of policy and strategy, including a year as Scholar-in-Residence at the National Security Agency in the USA. Click Read More below for additional information.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. (NASDAQ:URBN), a leading lifestyle products and services company which operates a portfolio of global consumer brands comprised of the Anthropologie, BHLDN, Free People, FP Movement, Terrain, Urban Outfitters, Nuuly and Menus & Venues brands, today announced net income of $54 million and record first quarter earnings per diluted share of $0.54 for the three months ended April 30, 2021.
Due to the material impact of COVID-19 on our business operations in fiscal 2021, including mandated store closures, this release includes a comparison of fiscal 2022 results to fiscal 2020, in addition to a comparison of fiscal 2022 results to fiscal 2021. Management views the comparison of fiscal 2022 results to fiscal 2020 as the more meaningful measurement of the Company’s business performance.
Sales Results for Fiscal 2022 Compared to Fiscal 2020 and Fiscal 2021
Total Company net sales for the three months ended April 30, 2021, were a record $927 million. Net sales increased 7.3% compared to the three months ended April 30, 2019. Comparable Retail segment net sales increased 10%, driven by strong double-digit growth in digital channel sales, partially offset by negative retail store sales due to reduced store traffic impacted by temporary store closures and occupancy restrictions in Europe and Canada. By brand, comparable Retail segment net sales increased 44% at the Free People Group, 9% at Urban Outfitters and 1% at the Anthropologie Group. Total Retail segment net sales also increased 10%. Wholesale segment net sales decreased 24% due in part to realigning the Free People brand customer base to focus on more regular price selling.
Total Company net sales for the three months ended April 30, 2021, increased 57.6% compared to the three months ended April 30, 2020. Comparable Retail segment net sales increased 51%, driven by strong double-digit growth in both retail store and digital channel sales. By brand, comparable Retail segment net sales increased 77% at the Free People Group, 50% at the Anthropologie Group and 42% at Urban Outfitters. Total Retail segment net sales increased 53%. Wholesale segment net sales increased 196%. Net sales for the three months ended April 30, 2020, were significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic including mandated store closures for all of the Company’s stores and the majority of its wholesale partners.
“The first quarter was one for the record books; record sales, a record low markdown rate, and record earnings per share,” said Richard A. Hayne, Chief Executive Officer. “Strong ‘comps’ were driven by powerful demand and superb execution by all teams. In May, sales trends have accelerated further which we believe bodes well for second quarter results,” finished Mr. Hayne.
further detail at: http://investor.urbn.com/news-releases/news-release-details/urbn-reports-record-q1-sales-and-eps